Sunday, October 03, 2010

Illinios & Iowa Road Trip

I have been procrastinating this way too long.  I had the best summer EVER!  The girls got to see all of their grandparents and great-grandparents, which is so special to me since everyone is so spread out.  I didn't get nearly enough pictures because I was sweating BRAIN CELLS since it was so hot and humid.  

The Gang
Me: the beautiful, permanent passenger.  
Apparently, my driving is too swerve-y.

Ammon: the driving maniac.  
He drove us 24 hours straight! (With lots of 10 minute stops).
And no tickets!

India: Best road-tripper ever!  
I am still amazed that there was no fighting, teasing, and very minimal crying.

Maya:  second-best road tripper ever!  
She was much more creative in finding ways to entertain herself.

Puffy cloud picture for my "cousin", Ashley.

Chief Osceola

We visited Ammon's mama mia and Grandma Clark first in Iowa.  I've never been much of a country girl, but the green rolling hills, lightening storms, and lightening bugs are so picturesque.  Ammon's mom lives on a farm in the middle of an Amish community, and it was fun learning about their neighbors. Ammon's older sister Kate came and spent some time with us in Iowa.  The girls entertained themselves with Uncle Justin and all of the farm animals.

Ammon's first home in Osceola, Iowa.  
 Ammon's parents planted all of those trees (and many, many more). 
And yes, my in-laws are still tree-hugging hippies in many ways. 
 I love it! 

The girls could not get enough of Grandma Mac's kittens.
They renamed all four kittens and tortured them daily.
But the kittens got even by giving us ring worm.

Maya and cousin Ember

 Cousin Savannah - the most hilarious girl I've ever met.  
She's funny, she's loud, she's sweet, she's rambunctious she's confident.
She is nothing in-between.
And aren't her ringlets adorable?

India & Savannah

Kids playing on the hay bales.
picture by Kate Stoneking

Some of Grandma Mac's unlucky chickens.
picture by Kate Stoneking

Me and my mother-in-law bonding.  
Technically, we did not kill them, but we did pluck and gut them.  
It was possibly grosser than childbirth because you don't get an epidural for chicken butchering.
picture by Kate Stoneking

Raven & India & Justin (who is cowboy of his farm!)
picture by Kate Stoneking

India and cousins in doctor's office at Living History Farm

Maya making her grandparents sooo proud on a john deer tractor.

Ember & Maya feeding the pony.
picture by Kate Stoneking

Savannah & India helping with yard work.
picture by Kate Stoneking

picture by Kate Stoneking

Five girls in a bathtub!  
This is my favorite picture ever.
picture by Kate Stoneking

After a week in Iowa, we drove over to Illinois to visit Ammon's dad.  I love driving around town to see where Ammon grew up, went to school, worked odd-jobs, etc. We also got to see Carl Sandburg's birthplace (he is one of our favorite poets), and tour the teeny tiny town of Ellisville.  I loved the old bank and old bank vault.  Someday, I hope we make it to their Sassafras Fair.  Ammon's dad also lives in the country and even owns his own PARK.  Of course, India wants to build a castle on Grandpa Wiemers' park, but we haven't had the groundbreaking yet.

Gorgeous horses at Nauvoo.
We got to tour around Nauvoo and then later saw the Nauvoo pagent.  There were so many fun activities to do while waiting for the pagent.  India loved the pioneer dancing the most.

We actually just barely missed the carriage ride at Nauvoo; however, watching the horses at the fence was the highlight of Maya's young life.  She was going NUTS over these magnificent creatures. 

Ammon, girlies, Grandpa Wiemers, and Grandpa's sexy-red truck.

We got to attend Raven & Savannah's tumbling class.  Raven is a flipping fool!  
She defies gravity in all kinds of crazy ways.

So both grandparents and Kate need medals for hosting cousin sleepovers at their homes.
I love you girlies, but you are loud and obnoxious at night.
These girls started their sleepover in Grandpa's downstairs and then all ended up in his room!

No comments: