
I loathe insurance companies. Even more so than Walmart, bad drivers, potty soup, ranch dressing, and the obnoxious cartoon Sid the Science Kid. We pay mega-bucks for a 100% insurance coverage, but surprise bills and more deductibles keep popping up.
But you know what? This post-pregnancy I've actually got some time and a killer cell phone plan to battle it out. Me vs PEHP. And they cannot hang up on me.
The Battle: Infant Audio Screening Test $84. Insurance denies the claim because the doctor is out of PEHP's network. I go ballistic, not necessarily because of the money, but because I'm confused as to why the hell an out-of-network doctor is working at my already-insurance-approved hospital. (No wonder people have their babies at home. That almost might be worth giving up the epidural and going natural).
Many phone calls later, PEHP pays for part of the claim AND I get the bill down to $50.25 for Maya's deductible. BOOYAH! I saved $30 bucks, and I won a moral battle. I have now saved our family over $200 as of January because I would not give up.
Oh yeah, and it turns out the doctor is in the PEHP network. NEVER trust your insurance. Apparently, PEHP only hires old women for customer service to make you feel bad for swearing at them, but it's still a ruse. (And for the record, swearing only happens when x amount exceeds three digits).
14 comments:
Oh don't even get me started on insurance companies.
Remember how they wouldn't approve my brain medication because they thought I was taking it for a bed wetting problem? Yeah, my BRAIN SURGEON likes to prescribe things completely outside his jurisdiction.
I have told them multiple times to 'get bent.'
Oh Erin, How I love thee
exceeds 3 digits: $10.99
ha...ha...ha... ... ...
you go girl!
I hear you, girl! I've been battling with Aetna and Intermountain homecare for over a year now on a bill that should be covered but the jerk faces at both places can't get their info straight.
Marshall, I do believe you gave me a good reason to swear more (according to my own rules). ;)
Oh I love this one! I can totally relate! Even though I called prior to my ultrasound to make sure it was 100% covered, I received two bills that amounted to over $700! Oh and I fought and it took a thousand phone calls and a professional refute to their claims. I won too! We didn't pay a cent.
I call about EVERYTHING! I used to think it was because I was inexperienced, but now I know that our medical system is so complicated that EVERYONE is totally confused.
no amount of money in the world would make it worth it to have a baby at home in a kiddie pool without and epidural. sorry.
I like my mom.
Uh ha!
My mom is cool.
Uh ha!
Now it's time for having fun at school.
Yeah, I hate that show too!
unfortunately zeb really likes sid the science kid- and it does teach some good lessons :) I HATE the music though.
I can relate to ins problems too. My insurance won't cover pathology bills because the pathology and the insurance company cant agree on how to interpret modifier 26 on insurance claims. I asked insurance where I can go to get labs covered and they can't give me an answer. Of course, I get a different answer every time I call. One time a guy told me that the lab was covered but not the supplies to do the lab. They are stupid.
We have totally boycotted Sid the Science kid at our house. I have tried to boycott Dora and Diego too, but if I get to sleep in a little Nick let's 'em watch those. Sadly, we cannot also boycot insurance companies. Seriously, I'm dreading the coming bills...
12+1 is a bad number, so I'm posting this comment as comment #14. Yeah!
Post a Comment