Monday, January 26, 2009

Not a future star of the WNBA

Among all of the frustrating moments, it is nice to have a few proud ones.  

First, a frustration.  Yesterday, we were watching one of our neighbor kids (Tristen).  He and India were playing in the other room and having way too much fun -- at least it was audibly apparent that India was having fun.  Usually, that is not an encouraging sign.  So, I went to investigate.  When I enterred the room, India had juice all over the front of her dress.  I promptly put her in time out.  When the requisite 3 minutes were expired, I had her come talk to me.  I asked her "India why were you in time out?" She replied "I don't spit at Tristen."  I had no idea the reason she was all wet was because she was spitting at her friend.  She had to go back to time out for the second time.

Last night for family home evening we had a lesson about how to treat friends.  We came to an understanding that if we want friends to contiue to be our friends that we shouldn't spit, hit, or excessively kiss them -- we've been having that problem too.

Now, a proud moment.  On Saturday afternoon I was watching basketball on tv.  India snuggled with me on the couch.  I asked her "India, what are we watching?"  She said "boys playing basketball." That was good enough for me.  A few minutes later India said "girls don't play basketball.  They're dumb. Girls play soccer.  They're good."  I almost cried I was so happy.

Boccioni, Umberto
Dynamism of a Soccer Player
1913
Oil on canvas
193.2 x 201 cm
Museum of Modern Art, New York


6 comments:

kenna said...

Heck, I'm proud.

SDL said...

We never had that lesson growing up. At least now I've found a reason. Can we send Jack over to learn something about sports. Its all baseball to him.

taylor and laney said...

That is one of the coolest paintings I've ever seen. The motion in it is unreal. Definitely one of my favorites from the MoMA.

The Corbetts said...

your daughter is so cute. You've taught her well.

Erin said...

Apparently we have no friends that are fans of the WNBA. Well, at least not any more.

Steve and Hailey said...

Erin your latest comment on our blog made me laugh so hard and it was a really crappy kind of day. Thanks! :)