Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Benediction


I listened to the presidential inauguration earlier this week.  The most impressive part of the whole swearing in ceremony was the benediction offered by Rev
. Joseph E. Lowery.  Once again I am disappointed to hear the commentary surrounding his remarks.  The only thing that I have heard is negativity about the final few lines of his prayer.  I'm sad because people are so used to finding the spin -- looking to condemn.  Instead, I think we should take what he said in the spirit in which it was given. I feel he was sincere in the petitions he made.  Among the notable pleas he made, he said

"And while we have sown the seeds of greed — the wind of greed and corruption, and even as we reap the whirlwind of social and economic disruption, we seek forgiveness and we come in a spirit of unity and solidarity to commit our support to our president by our willingness to make sacrifices, to respect your creation, to turn to each other and not on each other."

I think that is something altogether missing from Washington -- asking for forgiveness and recognizing wrongdoing.  I have no problem with that.  We would all do well to recognize where we have been greedy and work to honestly correct those such instances. So many of our economic problems are solely rooted in greed.  

The section of the prayer where most people object is where he used rhyme and color to request a change. Remember, change has been a major part of Obama's platform.  He says 

"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around ... when yellow will be mellow ... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen."

Once again, I have no objection.  I hope that I, a white man, would "embrace what is right."  I have read and heard many people cry foul saying "he is accusing white people of not doing what is right already." To that, I say he is right.  I'm willing to admit that I don't always embrace what is right.  I don't always treat people of other races as equal.  I appreciate someone praying for me.  I hope I can do better.  I've had to pray myself that I will act in the spirit of what is right and set aside my initial impulses.  I think we all should do that.  

I'm sad that people would rather argue over semantics than make much needed change.  In the end I hope we may do just what the Reverand asked and "turn to each other and not on each other." It is good to prayer for our leaders.  It is good to pray for each other. I have no problem with any of this. I think if people read the entire prayer again in the spirit in which it was given, they might not be so offended.  If they are offended perhaps they are the ones who need change and prayer the most. 

5 comments:

Morgan Family said...

I couldn't agree more!

Tiffany said...

Nice comments, Ammon. Great prayer by a great man. Obama's speech wasn't too bad either. :) It was pretty incredible to be there.

Best,

Joe

Laney said...

Amen!

Jilly Bean said...

I love that India saw the princess. That's too cute.

Oh, not brrr...not in Phoenix. :)

Marshallman said...

I totally agree with you. Everyone should refer to Elder Bednar's talk in general conference a couple years ago about being offended. One thing I remember is that we take offense, others don't offend us. It's a great talk.