
Yes, it is official. Erin has begun to sell Mary Kay cosmetics. I am really happy for her -- she is excited to get started. I hope that it doesn't turn into a huge hassle. I'm sure it won't. Erin has her eyes on earning a car. And that ain't bad.
In other news, I am still kind of hanging out waiting for school to start. I'm reading a book that I think I'll teach this year, probably in the spring. It's called The Secret Life of Bees. I'm about half done with it. The book isn't the greatest ever, but decent. I kind of have little dilemma. Girls will read "boy" books, but boys won't read "girl" books. This book is definitely a "girl book." I'm going to teach it anyway. I think it is good for boys to be exposed to the feminine perspective. I also think it is valuable for girls to have their own perspective shown in a positive way. I don't know how well I'll do. Erin could perhaps teach the book much more effectively than I, but I'm still going to give it a shot. I'm just a little nervous. As I said earlier, I'm not teaching it until the spring, so I have plenty of time to get advice from some of my colleagues. I'm one of two male English teachers, so I will find several people who can give me support. I'll also teach plenty of "boy" books as well as more somewhat gender-neutral books. I still don't have all of my curriculum hammered out, but I do know where I'll start. With the tenth grade I'm going to work on writing. With the eleventh grade, I'm going to dive right in to a two play unit. We'll be reading A Death of a Salesman and A Raisin' in the Sun. It should be fun.
We've got a couple more weeks of summer, and I plan on enjoying all of them. We have a couple of fun things coming up on our horizon. Next week we will be spending a great deal of time with family. We'll start off next week seeing Gramma Clark, Aunt Deb, and the Merrills. We'll end the week spending time with Erin's extended family. I'm hopeful that the time will be fun and exciting.
No comments:
Post a Comment