This Tuesday will mark the fourth anniversary of Erin and me getting married. Sort of related to that, we got new sheets for our bed. After four years they have become fairly worn. UMMM? Well anyway, we got new sheets. I went to the store and got what looked like good sheets. The main thing I learned is that the higher the number the better the sheets. So I thought 800 was a nice number for sheets -- thread count that is. What I didn't know, and I have subsequently come to understand, is that the higher the number also means the louder the sheets are. I've never been awakened in the middle of the night before by the sound of fabric. I know -- you are probably wondering what a sheet could sound like that could be that loud. Really, there is no other way for me to properly convey the sound that kept waking Erin and me up all night. It is an altogether new sound. Krinkly, rustly, crumply, and flappilty are words that I'm not sure are actually real, but they are something like the sound that I'm talking about. The first night was the loudest, and each night either the sheets are simmering down or we are getting used to it. You can't argue against the comfort, but the noise was something else.
Tonight we went to see a meteor shower. It's called Perseids or something like that. Anyway, we were certainly underwhelmed. We went up onto the mountain and stayed for about an hour. I saw three. Erin saw one (India was distracting her). Jeremy saw the most -- 5. In a word, the meteor shower was really not all that very fantastic. (I like to say "in a word" and then not give the one word -- it's a little trick I know.)
The plans for celebrating our anniversary include staying in Park City for the night and waking up to go mountain biking. I'm so excited. Erin's excitement does not nearly match mine, but is growing. It's going to be awesome. We will ride the lifts with our bikes and ride the trails back down. So we get all of the fun of mountain biking without nearly as much work. It's the American Dream. Wait. Is that the American Dream? All fun and no work? Well, I'm not going to comment too much on that. In fact I don't care, at this point, if our vacation plans align with my or anyone else's conception of what it means to be American. All I know is that it's going to be freakin' sweet, and that's all I'm worried about.
I realized that today is my last Sunday night before a monday that I have to work. Now for the rest of the year, I'm going to go to sleep on Sunday night with the certain doom of waking up to go to work. And you may say "lot's of people go to work on Monday," but it's hard for me, so BACK OFF. That's all to say that I have to go back to teaching after a wonderful summer. I knew it had to end eventually.
Big Gulps Huh? Well, See you later.
6 comments:
Ammon, you make me laugh monday morning, thats so fun, congrats on the aniversary!! and I agree about the star thing, it sucked. Try washing the sheets a couple of times, that will muffle the sound
Hey, my first meteor shower was bad too! I thought there were going to be stars streaking across the sky every second and there were only like 6! I thought it was lame. oh and we hate new sheets too! washing them helps a lot. ~Camille
Well happy freakin' anniversary. Plus, guess what, I don't feel bad that you have to go back to work on Monday. You are the one who chose a job that gets summers off, so you are pretty much setting yourself up for disappointment when school starts. Suck it up pal, I've been going to work every Monday all freakin' year.
about the monday thing. i acutally am saddened by the fact that i don't return to work this year! i am now home with a little rugrat. lets hope i don't get too sick of him.
I was on top of a house boat in Lake Powell during a meteor shower. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever witnessed. - Kent
I appreciate that you said "one of the most amazing" instead of saying "the most amazing." I knew that it was you Kent who wrote that without the qualifying tag.
Post a Comment